Commonly Asked Questions About a Heavy Vehicle License

A heavy vehicle license is needed in Australia in order to operate certain vehicles that are heavier and larger than your standard passenger car, truck, or minivan. These licenses vary according to the type of vehicle, and to obtain a heavy vehicle license, you need to have certain qualifications yourself. Note a few commonly asked questions about obtaining a heavy vehicle license so you can ensure you're prepared for the exam and will be able to get the license that you need.

1. What is required of the operator?

As an operator you will still be required to pass a written test that demonstrates your knowledge of handling a heavy vehicle. You are also typically required to have a vision test, and usually there are certain courses that you need to complete in addition to the actual testing so that it's ensured that you understand what is involved in heavy vehicle operation. These courses are different according to the type of vehicle you will be operating.

2. Is a heavy vehicle license required for small busses?

The size of the bus will determine if it falls under the category of a heavy vehicle or if it's still considered a family van. Small busses that seat more than twelve adults including the driver are considered light rigid, or LR, vehicles. They will require you to have a class C license for one year and then you can apply for the light rigid operating license.

3. Are small trucks considered heavy vehicles?

As with busses, it will depend on the size of the truck to determine if it falls under the classification of a heavy vehicle. A truck up to 8 tonnes would be considered a standard truck, but once it reaches that weight, you may then be required to have a heavy vehicle license in order to operate it.

4. What vehicles can be used for testing?

Not all vehicles can be used for testing and assessment; this would include armored vehicles, vehicles with livestock or busses with passengers, vintage or antique vehicles, or vehicles carrying any type of dangerous goods. When scheduling a testing or assessment of your licensing requirements, be sure to ask about the vehicle that you will be bringing in if you have any questions about its use. This will ensure you're not turned away at the testing facility and will need to reschedule your test with a different vehicle.

For more information and training options, talk with vehicle licencing companies or training services, like All Onsite Training and Assessment.

About Me

Heavy Construction Equipment Blog: Safety, Operation and Hire Tips

Welcome to my blog. My name is Tommy, and I learned how to drive a back hoe before I could drive a car. Now, I work in finance but still adore heavy construction equipment so I decided to start this blog. Before you start reading, let me introduce myself. I am a 34 year old who moved to the city to attend uni 15 years ago. I always thought I would return to a small town but fell in love and have never left the city. I have two sons, and I love surfing, fishing and spending time with them.